Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Presidential Pooch



YAY! The Obama girls finally got their puppy. I'd heard about the different breeds they were considering, and was really excited to hear they might choose a Portuguese Water Dog. This weekend, the Kennedy's gifted the new first family an adorable six-month-old PWD pup named Bo.


During dog training school, I did what would be considered my "dog breeds thesis" on Portuguese Water Dogs, so I have a special place in my heart for this lovely, rarely-heard-of breed. Besides being beautiful, these dogs have a wonderful coat that's ideal for allergy-prone humans (btw, despite popular belief, there is no such thing as a truly hypoallergenic pooch...)

PWDs are also superduper talented: they can be trained to be exceptional swimmers and divers, and were originally bred to work with Portuguese fishermen... among their many duties, these pups were known to actually herd fish! I'm sorry, call me a dog-loving nerd, but that is so cool!






*White House photos by Pete Souza, via Whitehouse.gov.

No comments: