Saturday, December 26, 2009

Top Twelve of The Past Ten


Can you believe that it's going to be a brand new year, of a brand new decade? These are my very favorite movies of the past ten years (now, I'm not claiming that these are the best movies of the past decade...they're simply my favorite movies of the past decade!)


I chose to list twelve movies just because... most lists seem to list ten things (ever wonder why that is...?) My selections are in no meaningful order (which explains why my list has wonderlandy nonsequential numbers), and I didn't have any supersnazzy selection criteria, but I did notice some universal themes after reflection. Each movie on my list, is, in some way:

*) funny

*) romantic

*) rewatchable

*) visually interesting

*) uses music in an artful way


...I think rewatchableness is the key factor that really turns a "good movie" into a true personal favorite. There were a lot of great movies during the past ten years (Once, Slumdog Millionaire, etc.), but, for me, the movies that I actually enjoy watching again & again are the ones that wind up taking an extra-special place in my heart :)



So here they are:

3) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind





1) Amelie





7) Shaun of the Dead




2) Moulin Rouge





8) Love, Actually





12) Lars and the Real Girl





6) 500 Days of Summer





4) Penelope





10) Being John Malkovich





5) Wall-E





9) The Jane Austen Book Club





11) Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day




Go see them. If you already have, maybe go see them again.

No comments: